Vols Complete Weekend Sweep
The Volunteers (4-0)
continued their dominant weekend performance on Sunday with two
decisive wins over Wake Forest, 4-1, and Chattanooga, 4-0, at
Goodfriend Tennis Center.
Vols gained momentum early against Wake Forest Demon Deacons by winning
the doubles point. Sophomore Sadie Hammond and redshirt freshman Gabby
Schuck held off a late surge by Emma Davis and Chandler Carter to win,
have been focusing on singles,” said head coach Alison Ojeda. “With
doubles, our mentality is that it’s an extra point. If we win it, then
that is fantastic, but our goal is to be four singles matches better
than our opponent. I think we would have been today. If our mindset is
that doubles is just an extra point, then we can just go out there and
play free and relaxed. We can focus on serves and returns, but after
that, just let the game unfold. Six out of the seven points come out of
singles. It’s hard to be four singles matches better than your
opponent, but that was our goal. Winning doubles was fantastic for us.”
senior duo of Brittany Lindl and Eve Repic faced an early 4-1 deficit
but stormed by to take the match and doubles point for UT, beating
Kimmy Guerin and Anna Ulyashchenko, 7-5.
lot of times, teams will start off loose, but when the match gets close
towards the end, they will get nervous,” said assistant coach Ty
Schaub. “We were the opposite, so I think we could take away from that
aspect of the match. We need to work on getting off to a faster start
because we have played well under pressure so far.”
Hammond picked up the win against Wake Forest's Kimmy Guerin, the No.
33-ranked player in the nation, with a commanding 6-4, 6-3 outcome.
Lindl earned her third victory of the weekend with a 7-6 (4), 6-4 match
against 61st-ranked Emma Davis.
“After Michigan, we told Sadie that
she could straight up beat anybody in the country, but she can’t be
beating herself every day,” added Ojeda. “She has to get to the point
where she is solid enough every single day that she can go out and
perform. We knew exactly what we wanted to do in practice. We sat and
watched film and put in the time. She knew exactly what she wanted to
After dropping the first set of her match, Repic
battled back to down Anna Ulyashchenko, 5-7, 7-5, 6-4, on court 3 to
clinch the match for the Vols.
In the Vols’ second match of the day, Tennessee breezed past Chattanooga, 4-0.
doubles, Riley and Kim Kermet beat the duo of McKenzie Barco and
Carolina Hall, 6-0, on court 3. Hammond and Gabby Schuck clinched the
doubles point with a 6-1 win over UTC’s Delaney Edwards and Sydney
The Orange and White picked up wins on courts 2, 5 and 6 in
singles to take the match. Schuck clinched it with a victory over
Rachele Gazzola, 6-0, 6-4.
Tennessee will be back in action at
Goodfriend Tennis Center on Friday, Feb. 3, to face Eastern Kentucky (1
p.m. ET) and Davidson (6 p.m. ET).
For the most up-to-date information about the Tennessee women's tennis program, follow @Vol_WTennis on Twitter.
Tennessee 4, Wake Forest 1
1. Sadie Hammond (UT) def. No. 33 Kimmy Guerin (WF), 6-4, 6-3
2. No. 64 Brittany Lindl (UT) def. No. 61 Emma Davis (WF), 7-6 (4), 6-4
3. Eve Repic (UT) def. Anna Ulyashchenko (WF), 5-7, 7-5, 6-4
4. Ariadna Riley (UT) vs. Joanna Zalewski (WF), 7-6 (5), 6-4, unf.
5. Chandler Carter (WF) def. Johanna Silva (UT) 6-4, 6-2
6. Gabby Schuck (UT) vs. Luisa Fernandez (WF) 6-7 (3), 6-3, 3-3 unf.
1. Lindl/Repic (UT) def. Guerin/Ulyashchenko (WF), 7-5
2. Hammond/Schuck (UT) def. Davis/Carter (WF), 6-4
3. Asch/Zalewski (WF) def. Kermet/Riley (UT), 6-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (3, 2, 1); Singles (5, 1, 2, 3)
Tennessee 4, Chattanooga 0
1. No. 64 Brittany Lindl (UT) vs. Samantha Caswell (UTC), 6-7 (3), unf.
2. Sadie Hammond (UT) def. Delaney Edwards (UTC), 6-1, 6-0
3. Kim Kermet (UT) vs. Sydney Patton (UTC), 6-1, 4-6, unf.
4. Johanna Silva (UT) vs. Caroline Hall (UTC), 7-5, unf.
5. Gabby Schuck (UT) def. Rachele Gazzola (UTC), 6-0, 6-4
6. Ashley Bongart (UT) def. Mckenzie Barco (UTC) 6-2, 6-3
1. Lindl/Repic (UT) vs. Caswell/Gazzola (UTC), unf.
2. Hammond/Schuck (UT) def. Edwards/Patton (UTC), 6-1
3. Riley/Kermet (UT) def. Barco/Hall (UTC), 6-0
Order of Finish: Doubles (3, 2); Singles (2, 6, 5)