Women’s Tennis Dominates Doubles Play in Hawaii Invitational
The Wildcats sweep Kansas in first day of spring season play
Hawaii – The University of Kentucky women’s tennis team started off
their spring season with an impressive performance. The team is
currently in Honolulu, Hawaii competing in the Hawaii Invitational,
where they are taking on Kansas, Washington State and Hawaii.
Wildcats began the day with doubles play, facing the University of
Kansas. UK breezed through the matches, dominating all three to sweep.
The 34th ranked duo of Khristina Blajkevitch and Jessica Stiles took on
the 42nd ranked doubles team of Monica Pezzotti and Paulina Los,
defeating them 8-4. Caitlin McGraw and Edmée Morin-Kougoucheff followed
suit, beating Claire Dreyer and Dylan Windom, 8-1. The most impressive
performance of the day came from CeCe Witten and Stephanie Fox, who
overpowered Victoria Khanevskaya and Amy Barnthouse to win their match,
UK also competed in singles play, this time taking on
the home-team, the University of Hawaii. Hawaii came out strong but the
Wildcats were able to snag three wins. Morin-Kougoucheff started off
shaky against Martina Kostalova, but then turned it around quickly to
defeat her opponent 1-6, 6-1, 6-0. Misha Testerman and Witten had
closer matches but both took home the victory. Testerman took on Kelsey
Daguio and won 6-4, 6-1 while Witten defeated Rebecca Faltusz, 6-2, 7-5.
Tomorrow the Wildcats will continue play as they face WSU in singles and Hawaii in doubles.
For continuing coverage of UK women’s tennis log on to UKathletics.com.
Kentucky vs. Kansas (doubles)
1. Stiles/Blajkevitch def. Pezzotti/Los 8-4
2. McGraw/Morin-Kougoucheff def. Dreyer/Windom 8-1
3. Witten/Fox def. Khanevskaya/Barnthouse 8-0
Kentucky vs Hawaii (singles)
1. Poljakova (UH) def Stiles 6-3, 6-4
2. Pawid (UH) def. McGraw 6-1, 6-0
3. Pinterova (UH) def. Blajkevitch 6-2, 6-1
4. Suworowa (UH) def. Fox 6-4, 7-5
5. Morin-Kougoucheff def. Kostalova (UH) 1-6, 6-1, 6-0
6. Testerman def. Daguio (UH) 6-4, 6-1
7. Witten def. Faltusz (UH) 6-2, 7-5
8. Van den Bergh (UH) def. Pickett 6-2, 6-1